Our Leadership Team
Director at Large
About the NFTGA
Our Mission Statement
The purpose of the National Federation of Tourist Guide Associations-USA (NFTGA-USA) is to represent, promote and protect the common interests of tourist guide associations in the United States of America by:
- Providing a national forum to promote the highest degree of professionalism for tourist guides
- Establishing contacts among associations to share information and reinforce professional ties
- Raising private, public and governmental awareness, locally and nationally, of the tourist guides’ role
- Maintaining membership in related national tourism industry associations
To fulfill our goals, we:
- Share information of leading guiding practices among our associations
- Attend and present at national and international tourism industry conferences and to both learn and communicate tourism information and to advocate for issues impacting the guiding profession
- Keep abreast of federal and state actions impacting the tourism and share and educate our association members and the public
- Conduct biennial conferences to educate and inform association members
- Attend biennial WFTGA conferences to learn international trends and concerns and advocate and educate for US tourism
- Advocate to a code of ethics, see below
Ethics & Standards
- A professional tourist guide provides a skilled, knowledgeable presentation; informs, interprets and highlights the surroundings; maintains objectivity and enthusiasm in a courteous and polite manner.
- A professional tourist guide ensures that all information presented is factual, and makes a clear distinction between what is true and what are stories, legends and opinions.
- A professional tourist guide keeps current on changes throughout the area s/he works, including but not limited to seasonal events, new exhibits, traffic laws and facilities, and follows the rules and regulations at all sites where tours will be conducted.
- A professional tourist guide is prepared for each tour when the itinerary is furnished in advance; reports on time and is responsible for facilitating the smooth, safe, efficient and timely movement of the tour.
- A professional tourist guide is sensitive to the interests and values of the tour group and does not share personal views on controversial subjects such as religion, politics or lifestyles.
- A professional tourist guide knows and follows the policies of the contracting company and does not solicit a job from that company’s client without the consent of the company; maintains loyalty to the company and protects the confidentiality of proprietary information. Also, a professional guide strives to establish a friendly and helpful rapport with the client, and uses discretion in the conduct of the personal business while on tour.
- A professional tourist guide dresses appropriately for the type of tour being conducted.
- A professional tourist guide extends professional respect and a spirit of cooperation to fellow guides, and strives to establish a good working relationship with all service providers on the tour route.
- A professional tourist guide accepts each tour as a serious commitment and cancels only when absolutely necessary, providing as much advance notice as possible.
- A professional tourist guide declines any illegal requests.
- A professional tourist guide does not practice discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.