About the NFTGA
Our Mission Statement
The purpose of the National Federation of Tourist Guide Associations-USA (NFTGA-USA) is to represent, promote and protect the common interests of tourist guide associations in the United States of America by:
- Providing a national forum to promote the highest degree of professionalism for tourist guides
- Establishing contacts among associations to share information and reinforce professional ties
- Raising private, public and governmental awareness, locally and nationally, of the tourist guides' role
- Maintaining membership in related national tourism industry associations
To fulfill our goals, we:
- Share information of leading guiding practices among our associations
- Attend and present at national and international tourism industry conferences and to both learn and communicate tourism information and to advocate for issues impacting the guiding profession
- Keep abreast of federal and state actions impacting the tourism and share and educate our association members and the public
- Conduct biennial conferences to educate and inform association members
- Attend biennial WFTGA conferences to learn international trends and concerns and advocate and educate for US tourism
- Advocate to a code of ethics, see below
Ethics & Standards
- A professional tourist guide provides a skilled, knowledgeable presentation; informs, interprets and highlights the surroundings; maintains objectivity and enthusiasm in a courteous and polite manner.
- A professional tourist guide ensures that all information presented is factual, and makes a clear distinction between what is true and what are stories, legends and opinions.
- A professional tourist guide keeps current on changes throughout the area s/he works, including but not limited to seasonal events, new exhibits, traffic laws and facilities, and follows the rules and regulations at all sites where tours will be conducted.
- A professional tourist guide is prepared for each tour when the itinerary is furnished in advance; reports on time and is responsible for facilitating the smooth, safe, efficient and timely movement of the tour.
- A professional tourist guide is sensitive to the interests and values of the tour group and does not share personal views on controversial subjects such as religion, politics or lifestyles.
- A professional tourist guide knows and follows the policies of the contracting company and does not solicit a job from that company's client without the consent of the company; maintains loyalty to the company and protects the confidentiality of proprietary information. Also, a professional guide strives to establish a friendly and helpful rapport with the client, and uses discretion in the conduct of the personal business while on tour.
- A professional tourist guide dresses appropriately for the type of tour being conducted.
- A professional tourist guide extends professional respect and a spirit of cooperation to fellow guides, and strives to establish a good working relationship with all service providers on the tour route.
- A professional tourist guide accepts each tour as a serious commitment and cancels only when absolutely necessary, providing as much advance notice as possible.
- A professional tourist guide declines any illegal requests.
- A professional tourist guide does not practice discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
NFTGA Biennial Conferences
NFTGA holds a biennial conference on the alternating years from the WFTGA conference. The conferences bring together association leaders and members to discuss issues facing the tourism industry and tour guides in particular, to share leading practices and learn from each other. Past conferences have been held in the following: 2002 - San Antonio, 2004 - Boston, 2007 - New Orleans, 2010 - Miami, 2012 - San Francisco, 2014 - Denver, 2016 - Washington DC and 2018 - Philadelphia.
The 2020 NFTGA Conference will be held in Charleston, SC. For more information, please visit the 2020 NFTGA Conference page.
The NFTGA Logo
When reproduced in color (as seen at the top of this page), the NFTGA-USA logo appears in red, blue and gold against a background of white. The stars represent the locations of the associations who worked toward the formation of the NFTGA-USA.
Alternately, the logo may also be printed in black and white, as it appears below.