Frequently Asked Questions
The information on this page has been designed to help answer questions asked of the NFTGA. Please feel free to contact the NFTGA-USA President if you require further information.
Please click a question below to view the answer:
- Why "Tourist" Guide?
- How can I find out more about NFTGA-USA membership?
- What does it take to become a member of the NFTGA-USA?
- I am not a member of a local guide organization, but I really want to attend the next NFTGA conference. Is this possible?
- Can the NFTGA help us start a local guide organization in our city/area?
- What are the long-term goals of the NFTGA-USA?
Why "Tourist" Guide?
For many speakers of English, a "tour" guide is a book. For this reason, we have followed the lead of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations in using the word "tourist" to denote the individuals involved in guiding.
How can I find out more about NFTGA-USA membership?
Please contact the NFTGA-USA President, and we will answer any questions (and send you a membership application, if necessary) as best we can.
What does it take to become a member of the NFTGA-USA?
Please go here to refer to the Join Us page to download the appropriate application. Also, you can contact the NFTGA-USA President to get answers to your questions, provide additional information and/or send you an application form.
I am not a member of a local guide organization, but I really want to attend the next NFTGA conference. Is this possible?
Yes! Traditionally, the host city conference organizing committee will publish a slightly higher non-member conference registration fee. Please contact the host (sponsoring) guide organization for more information.
Can the NFTGA help us start a local guide organization in our city/area?
Yes! The NFTGA-USA has many volunteers located across the nation who would be willing to answer questions, send samples of their organization's handbook or policy and procedure manual, association newsletters, bylaws, etc. to help you get started. Please contact the NFTGA-USA President for the names and contact information of individuals willing to help.
What are the long-term goals of the NFTGA-USA?
Future projects of the NFTGA-USA include:
- Developing a handbook to assist American cities/areas that desire to form their own tourist guide association.
- Designing a national network to reach out to city, regional and state tourism boards in order to promote the benefits of using, employing and hiring professional guides.
- Bringing together people from many areas of the tourism industry to form a National Tourism Round Table to increase awareness of and seek solutions to common areas of concern.
- Providing the NFTGA-USA membership access to Health Insurance.